Chief Technology Officer (m/f)
Baobab is a leading digital financial inclusion group focusing on serving individuals, micro and small businesses in Africa and China. Our mission is to unleash the potential of our clients offering them simple and easy to use financial services. Founded in 2005 as Microcred, today Baobab has over 700,000 customers and 3,800 employees operating in Burkina Faso, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Tunisia and Zimbabwe.
The group is headquartered in Paris and has centralised a number of back office functions to Dakar, Senegal.
In a context of rapid growth and change we are looking for a Chief Technology Officer (m/f).
Chief Technology Officer (m/f)
Paris or Dakar
Reporting to the Group COO, the CTO has full responsibility for operating, maintaining, developing and securing the Group’s IT across all of the countries in which Baobab operates, including the Paris HQ.
A unique aspect of our IT is that that Baobab operates 100% in the cloud. Our main platforms are hosted in a private cloud in Amazon Web Services (AWS) in Dublin; everything else is a SaaS solution.
The task is to lead c. 80 people in the IT hub in Dakar through the challenge of rapidly changing business and technology requirements, while continuing to reduce IT costs as a percentage of overall revenue. In addition, the Country IT managers have a direct reporting line to the central team in Dakar.
The CTO will also play an important role in the overall leadership of the Baobab Group.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Defining the IT strategy of the Group, balancing the technology strategy with the business strategy as defined by the senior leadership
- Supporting the ongoing business transition to more digitised products and processes, including reviewing architecture and platform choices
- Completing the migration of our Temenos T24 core banking system onto a single code base instance, migrating the countries in line with business requirements
- Leveraging cloud-optimised tools and processes to drive internal efficiency, high availability, scalability and resilience
- Significantly enhancing responsiveness to the needs of the operating businesses, including faster change delivery
- Managing prioritisation across scarce resources to optimise development and error-free production up-time
- Managing the budget and producing monthly dashboards for the Paris and country management
Your skills and qualifications
- Minimum 15 years in IT, 10 years as a manager and 5 years in operations
- Leadership of Infrastructure and/ or Software Development organisations
- Budget and management report creation, regularly interacting with senior management
- Managing a location with over 80 staff as well remotely managing staff across countries
- IT security, ideally around PCI DSS, and the creation of policies
- Professional experience in organisations dealing with financial services
- Experience in multinational companies with a decentralised approach to management
- Fluency in both French and English
The position could be based in either Dakar or Paris and will involve frequent attendance at both locations plus additional international travel.