Data Scientist (h/f)
Baobab is a leading digital financial inclusion group focusing on serving individuals, micro and small businesses in Africa and China. Our mission is to unleash the potential of our clients offering them simple and easy to use financial services. Founded in 2005 as Microcred, today Baobab has over 700,000 customers and 3,800 employees operating in Burkina Faso, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Tunisia and Zimbabwe.
The group is headquartered in Paris and has centralised a number of back office functions to Dakar, Senegal.
In this growth and digitalization context, we are looking for a: Data Scientist (h/f)
We are seeking an experienced data scientist to develop and roll out decision support algorithms that underlie the ambitious objectives for growth and productivity of Baobab.
As a Data Scientist, your responsibilities include designing, running and delivering analytics and data products from algorithm creation, predictive modeling and forecasting to dashboards and ad hoc data collection..
The position requires hands-on experience and in-depth knowledge of data science tools, combining traditional and non-traditional techniques to use all kinds of internal and external information and derive decision support tools. You will demonstrate strong interpreting and analytical skills, with the ability to constructively challenge and provide a professional, objective and independent perspective. Previous experience in data management and analysis is desired for this role, particularly in terms of control and process documentation.
You will be part of the Data Analysis team and will report to the Team Leader. You will need to work with other Baobab departments to meet the data analysis needs.
You are passionate about analysis, an expert in trends and approaches in big data analysis, and you excel at solving problems with a positive and determined attitude. Among other fundamental qualities, you’ll need to be creative, flexible, have strong analytical capabilities to solve complex problems, have hands-on experience with large volumes of transaction data, and desire to drive continuous improvement in the corporate processes.
- Build and Enhance current Data Infrastructure based on existing data captured by Baobab
- Identify and capture new data, from Microcred ecosystem and beyond, to support growth and digitalization objectives
- Analyze all data to make sense to it and derive business decision engines
- Design and launch innovative and complex analytic models, utilizing a blend of contemporary and traditional data mining techniques, to apply to both structured and unstructured data sets.
- A minimum of 5 years experience of leadership in data analytics, including, statistical modeling, machine learning, forecasting, Big Data, reporting.
- Proven ability to translate operational and strategic challenges into data driven analysis enabling optimized decision making
- Prior experience in financial inclusion services, in the area of credit risk and / or data analytics, in particular building machine learning models in credit risk landscape
- Exposure to Africa and / or China unbanked sectors
- Written and spoken English
- Experience with leading visualization tools (Tableau, BIME, Qlikview), MS Office and Google suite
- Proficient in SQL and R statistical package, Python a plus; Familiarity with NoSQL databases (MongoDB)
- Degree, MS, or PhD in a quantitative fields like Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computing and Engineering
- A naturally multicultural player and leader: you know how to interact with people with different cultures and different background creating trust, respect and an environment open to problem solving
- A good communicator, able to make analysis easy to understand thanks to compelling and clear arguments. You’re at ease in communication with overseas activities (phone, video calls). You love teamwork, and you understand what it takes to make the team succeed.
- A pragmatic, you always try to handle complex projects and subjects through simpler tasks and solutions. You’re organized and have a strong ability to manage urgencies through effective priority management.
- You have passion and energy. Because we love what we do, our enthusiasm is infectious. You can’t wait to get the virus as this is what makes you perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, grow.
- You value and demonstrate unyielding integrity.