Senior Data Scientist (m/f)
Baobab is a leading digital financial inclusion group focusing on serving individuals, micro and small businesses in Africa and China. Our mission is to unleash the potential of our clients offering them simple and easy to use financial services. Founded in 2005 as Microcred, today Baobab has over 700,000 customers and 3,800 employees operating in Burkina Faso, China, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Nigeria, Senegal, Tunisia and Zimbabwe.
The group is headquartered in Paris and has centralised a number of back office functions to Dakar, Senegal.
In this growth and digitalization context, we are looking for a: Senior Data Scientist (m/f)
Senior Data Scientist
We are seeking an experienced data and machine learning scientist to help steer the next generation of algorithms and play a key role in the company’s data science initiatives, in particular, but not limited to, applying data-driven machine learning techniques and technologies to large data sets.
The role requires hands-on application of and in-depth knowledge of data science tools, involving combining traditional and non-traditional techniques to solve key business problems and opportunities. This role will also require strong business acumen, the ability to interact with distant subsidiaries and the delivery of end-to-end analytical solutions – from conceptualizing an analytical framework for a specific problem to translating the insights back to actionable business recommendations.
As Senior Data Scientist, your responsibilities include the design, execution, and delivery of analyses and data products ranging from algorithm creation, predictive modeling and forecasting, to dashboards and ad-hoc data pulls.
You will be integrated to the Data Science team reporting to the Group Chief Risk Officer and will collaborate with all departments’ heads to deliver data analytics needs in particular you are expected to contribute to leveraging data to:
- Improve credit risks within the group
- Develop Digital Data based Marketing on specific population segments
You will demonstrate strong interpretative and analytical skills, with the ability to challenge constructively and provide a professional, objective and independent viewpoint. Previous experience in data management and analytics is sought for this role, including process documentation and controls.
You are passionate about analytics, an expert on the evolving trends and approaches for analyzing big data, and excel in problem-solving with a positive, can-do attitude. Other foundational qualities include creative thinking, flexibility, a strong analytical ability to address complex issues, hands-on experience working with large volumes of transaction data, and the desire to drive continuous improvement.
- Build and Enhance current Data Infrastructure based on existing data captured by Baobab
- Identify and capture new data, from Microcred ecosystem and beyond, to support growth and digitalization objectives
Prepare for the future of digital financial services
- Enable business to execute on its digitalization strategy by optimizing deployment of decision engines
- Identify and respond to analytics / data trends and opportunities. Research and develop next-generation analytical techniques/tools where existing ones are not adequate to address business challenges
- Analyze all data to make sense to it and derive business decision engines
- Design and launch innovative and complex analytic models, utilizing a blend of contemporary and traditional data mining techniques, to apply to both structured and unstructured data sets.
- A minimum of 5 years experience of leadership in data analytics, including, statistical modeling, machine learning, forecasting, Big Data, reporting.
- Proven ability to translate operational and strategic challenges into data driven analysis enabling optimized decision making
- Prior experience in financial inclusion services, in the area of credit risk and / or data analytics, in particular building machine learning models in credit risk landscape
- Exposure to Africa and / or China unbanked sectors
- Written and spoken English
- Experience with leading visualization tools (Tableau, BIME, Qlikview), MS Office and Google suite
- Proficient in SQL and R statistical package, Python a plus; Familiarity with NoSQL databases (MongoDB)
- Degree, MS, or PhD in a quantitative fields like Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computing and Engineering
- A naturally multicultural player and leader: you know how to interact with people with different cultures and different background creating trust, respect and an environment open to problem solving
- A good communicator, able to make analysis easy to understand thanks to compelling and clear arguments. You’re at ease in communication with overseas activities (phone, video calls). You love teamwork, and you understand what it takes to make the team succeed.
- A pragmatic, you always try to handle complex projects and subjects through simpler tasks and solutions. You’re organized and have a strong ability to manage urgencies through effective priority management.
- You have passion and energy. Because we love what we do, our enthusiasm is infectious. You can’t wait to get the virus as this is what makes you perform at your absolute best and see new challenges as an opportunity to contribute, make an impact, grow.
- You value and demonstrate unyielding integrity.